World Data System (WDS)
Building on the 50-year legacy of the ICSU World Data Centres (WDCs) and the ICSU Federation of Astronomical and Geophysical data-analysis Services, the WDS aims at transitioning from existing stand-alone data centres and data services to a common, globally interoperable, distributed data system that incorporates emerging technologies and new scientific data activities.
- Committee on Space Research (COSPAR)
- Future Earth
- Integrated Research on Disaster Risk (IRDR)
- Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
- Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR)
- Scientific Committee on Solar-Terrestrial Physics (SCOSTEP)
- Urban Health & Wellbeing
- World Climate Research Programme (WCRP)
- International Network for Government Science Advice (INGSA)
- Science International
- ICSU in the News
The new system builds on the potential offered by advanced interconnections between data management components to foster disciplinary and multidisciplinary applications for the benefit of the international scientific community and other stakeholders.
As of 9 September 2016, WDS has 98 Member organizations, including 64 Regular Members, 10 Network Members, 6 Partner Members and 18 Associate Members, and numerous other applications continue to be reviewed by the WDS Scientific Committee.
WDS covers a broad disciplinary and geographic base and is striving to become a world-wide ’community of excellence’ for stewardship and provision of scientific data. To this end, WDS collaborates with several strategic partners, such as the Research Data Alliance (RDA) and the ICSU Committee on Data for Science and Technology (CODATA).