Transformations to Sustainability
The Transformations to Sustainability (T2S) programme supports solutions-oriented, international research for sustainability, led by social scientists and jointly produced with societal stakeholders.
- Committee on Space Research (COSPAR)
- Comparative Research Programme on Poverty (CROP)
- Future Earth
- Integrated Research on Disaster Risk (IRDR)
- Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
- Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR)
- Scientific Committee on Solar-Terrestrial Physics (SCOSTEP)
- World Climate Research Programme (WCRP)
- International Network for Government Science Advice (INGSA)
- Science International
- ISC in the News
The Transformations to Sustainability (T2S) programme promotes research on the complex social transformations needed to address problems of global environmental change, as well as on interrelated societal problems such as poverty, corruption, migration, social discontent and conflict.
What does it do?
T2S supports an innovative, solution-oriented approach to sustainability research that:
- is framed and led by social scientists;
- involves all relevant knowledge holders – from social, natural and engineering sciences, the humanities, civil society, media and policy domains – at all stages of the research process;
- involves researchers in all regions of the world, including low- and middle-income countries.
T2S thereby aims to:
- Inform the development of more effective, durable and equitable solutions to the problems of environmental change and sustainability;
- Promote the use of the best available knowledge about social transformations by researchers, educators, policy makers, practitioners, the private sector and citizens.
The ISC participates in two Transformations to Sustainability Programmes: The first, originally launched by the International Social Science Council (ISSC) in 2014, is supported by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida).
The ISC also participates in the NORFACE–Belmont Forum Transformations to Sustainability (T2S) programme launched in 2017. The new programme is the product of a partnership between the Belmont Forum and NORFACE in a joint effort to advance research on transformations to sustainability. The new programme is inspired by the ISC’s T2S programme, but operates differently.