The Council currently runs two funding schemes: the Grants Programme, open to its Member Unions, and the LIRA 2030 programme, designed to strengthen integrated research on sustainability in Africa.
- Committee on Space Research (COSPAR)
- Comparative Research Programme on Poverty (CROP)
- Future Earth
- Gender, Globalisation and Democratisation
- Integrated Research on Disaster Risk (IRDR)
- Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR)
- Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research (SCOR)
- Scientific Committee on Solar-Terrestrial Physics (SCOSTEP)
- World Climate Research Programme (WCRP)
- International Network for Government Science Advice (INGSA)
- Science International
- ISC in the News
The new Grants Programme of the International Councils for Science (ICSU) is setup in line with the external review, as a new modality to create international initiatives led by ICSU Unions.
Its intent is to foster Membership engagement by addressing long-standing priorities for ICSU members in developing science education, outreach and public engagement activities, and to mobilise resources for international scientific collaboration.
The Grants Programme is competitive and peer-reviewed. Proposals must be led jointly by at least two ICSU Scientific Unions. Proposals must focus on innovative, international, and multidisciplinary work that supports ICSU’s strategic priorities.
Leading Integrated Research for Agenda 2030 in Africa (LIRA 2030)
Leading Integrated Research for Agenda 2030 in Africa is a 5-year programme that seeks to increase the production of high quality, integrated (inter- and transdisciplinary), solutions-oriented research on global sustainability by early career scientists in Africa. The knowledge will be used to address complex sustainability challenges in the region.
The programme is run by the International Science Council together with its Regional Office for Africa and in strong partnership with the Network of African Science Academies (NASAC). The Programme is supported by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) and will run until December 2020.