The Research Council is Oman’s exclusive research funding body and leader of research development in the country. TRC serves as a focal point and hub dedicated to promoting and supporting research, scientific enquiry, and innovation in the Sultanate of Oman. At the heart of our work is nurturing research talent to power innovation and create economic benefit for our national prosperity.
Established in June 2005, TRC has been founded by Royal Decree No. 54/2005 under the chairmanship of His Highness Sayyid Shihab Bin Tariq Al-Said, adviser to His Majesty the Sultan. This was notably followed in 2010 by Royal Decree No.30/2010 with TRC set to lead the way in drawing up a national plan for scientific research in the Sultanate.
As a policy-making body and funding agency, TRC encourages the promotion and application of research, innovation and science to create value that serves business, markets and the wider needs of society. It is our belief that research conducted in Oman should further the public good with commitment to the spread and transfer of knowledge.
TRC has four main objectives
- Building Research Capacity Mechanisms
- Achieving Research Excellence
- Building Knowledge Transfer and Value Capture
- Provide an Enabling Environment for Research and Innovation
Create an innovation ecology that is responsive to local needs and international trends, fosters social harmony, and leads to creativity and excellence.
- Oman will become a regional hub for innovation, and a leader in producing new ideas, products and services.
- Oman will have the largest research capacity in the region
- Omani research will excel in selected fields of national importance.
- Oman will have a research culture that responds swiftly to local social and economic needs.
- Oman will have a world-class infrastructure for evidence-based policy making.