Vacancy: Administrative and Membership Liaison Officer
The International Science Council (ISC) is seeking an Administrative and Membership Liaison Officer to join its team in Paris, France, on a permanent contract, and starting 1 December 2019.
The International Science Council (ISC) is a non-governmental organization with a unique global membership that brings together 40 international scientific Unions and Associations and over 140 national and regional scientific organizations, including Academies and Research Councils.
The vision of the Council is to advance science as a global public good. Scientific knowledge, data and expertise must be universally accessible and their benefits universally shared. The practice of science must be inclusive and equitable, including in opportunities for scientific education and capacity development.
Reporting to the Operations Director, you will have responsibility both for effective management of membership liaison and for ISC administration functions.
The membership liaison tasks include:
- Serving as main point of contact for ISC membership;
- Processing and managing all membership applications;
- Working with key contacts in science Unions, Academies and Affiliated Members to mobilize their members to take collective action to promote science as a global public good;
- Providing administrative support to the ISC’s Committee for Outreach and Engagement;
- Taking a leading role in the planning of membership meetings and General Assemblies.
The administrative tasks include:
- Supporting ongoing scientific activities and meetings, i.e. taking care of all related administrative and logistical arrangements;
- Providing administrative support including correspondence, note-taking and event coordination;
- Managing projects related to administrative work, and
- Developing, coordinating and implementing related team work.
You will work alongside colleagues (20 staff in 2019) to support a wide range of ISC activities and events, and interact with project teams across the broader networks of ISC Members, stakeholders and partners.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an organization launched in 2018, following the merger of two prestigious membership bodies representing the natural and the social sciences – the International Council for Science (ICSU) and the International Social Science Council (ISSC).
The ISC is seeking candidates with the following:
Qualifications and knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree or higher and a keen interest in science
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in an administration/support position in an international environment
- Demonstrated experience in administering projects and organizing events
- Experience in working in an international membership organization is preferred
- Experience and knowledge of MS Office systems
- Experience and knowledge of customer relationship management systems or databases
- Excellent knowledge of English; knowledge of French or Spanish would be an advantage
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Able to prioritize, to work effectively under pressure and to deliver on allocated tasks within tight deadlines
- Action-orientated and responsible
- Able to manage a varied workload
- Capacity to work productively and cooperatively across different teams
- Flexible, “can-do” attitude and able to adapt to a constantly changing workflow
- Project management skills desirable
The salary will be dependent on the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Applicants should either be EU nationals or should hold a valid French work permit.
Applications (preferably in one combined PDF file) should include a CV and a cover letter and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Administrative and Membership Liaison Officer” in the subject line.
The closing date for applications is 27 October 2019.