Regional Office for Latin America/Caribbean
The Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean (ROLAC) helps to ensure that the regional priorities are reflected in the international ISC strategic development. It also enhances the participation of scientists and scientific organizations from the region in the ISC’s research and policy activities, and enables the ISC to play a more effective role in strengthening science within the context of regional priorities and building capacity through collaboration.
ISC ROLAC Mission
The mission of the ISC Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean is to ensure that the regional priorities are reflected in ISC’s strategic activities and to develop sound regional scientific programs. In detail, its objectives are:
- To assist the ISC and its members in their strategic planning for activities in Latin America and the Caribbean and to ensure that their plans and activities are well linked to the science community and to relevant networks and organizations in the region;
- To identify and elaborate science and policy priorities in the region, to enhance the ISC’s knowledge about these priorities and to facilitate the collaboration between the ISC and scientists and policy makers in the region to address these priorities;
- To promote and facilitate capacity building in Latin America and the Caribbean;
- To implement the science plans of the four ISC ROLAC scientific priority areas biodiversity, natural hazards, sustainable energy, and mathematics education. The Regional Office coordinates the activities proposed and executed by the Regional Committee members concerning the ISC ROLAC priority areas;
- To strengthen the links between the ISC and its National Members and Regional Contacts of Scientific Union members in Latin America and the Caribbean;
- To facilitate the expansion and active membership of the ISC to institutions in Latin American and Caribbean countries that are not yet members of the ISC;
- To assist in the integration of key regional scientists and institutions into existing ISC programmes and initiatives. Of special relevance is the integration of ISC ROLAC’s scientific priority areas biodiversity and natural hazards into the respective global ISC initiatives;
- To collaborate with the ISC Regional Offices for Africa (ROA) and Asia Pacific (ROAP) as well as with the ISC headquarters in Paris to assure the integration of ISC ROLAC’s work into the global agenda of ISC.
ISC ROLAC vision
- Science is used for the benefit of all, excellence in science is valued and scientific knowledge is effectively linked to policymaking.
- Universal and equitable access to high quality scientific data and information is a reality and all countries have the scientific capacity to use these and to contribute to generating the new knowledge that is necessary to establish their own development pathways in a sustainable manner.
The ISC ROLAC office focuses on the following priority project areas.
- Urban health
- Disaster Risk Reduction
- Mathematics Education
- International Network for Government Science Advice
- Open Data
- Scientific Diaspora
- Sustainable Energy
ISC Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean (ROLAC)
87 Avenida Norte #147, Colonia Escalon
San Salvador, El Salvador
Tel: + 503 2523-7733